Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Some interesting quotes

Here are some of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain. Please feel free to offer a rebuttal and show me inherent flaws with their reasoning. I am sure we can have a lot of fun discussing and disecting them.

Reading quotes is a good way in my opinion to learn what people think about their own system.

* We despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency, we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us.

* Religion consists in a set of things which the average man thinks he believes, and wishes he was certain.

* I have a religion--but you will call it blasphemy. It is that there is a God for the rich man but none for the poor.....Perhaps your religion will sustain you,will feed you--I place no dependence in mine. Our religions are alike, though, in one respect--neither can make a man happy when he is out of luck.

* We have to keep our God placated with prayers, and even then we are never sure of him--how much higher and finer is the Indian's God......Our illogical God is all-powerful in name, but impotent in fact; the Great Spirit is not all-powerful, but does the very best he can for his injun and does it free of charge.

* Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

*
But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?

*
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities.

*
Don't let schooling interfere with your education.

*
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.

*
Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.

*
I do not believe in God because I do not believe in Mother Goose.


No comments: